This week’s recipe is a gentle twist in the traditional walnut salad. Why? Because you can use the Maple Syrup and Cinnamon Walnuts we made last week to give this baby an added kick.
Take a look, salad never tasted so good!
Cooking and prep time: 15 minutes or less.
- ½ cup walnuts chopped *
- 2 small, ripe pears, cut into thin strips
- 100g Gorgonzola cheese, cubed
- 1 red capsicum cut into thin strips
- 2 large handfuls of mixed salad leaves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
1. In a large bowl combine walnuts, pears, cheese, capsicum and salad leaves.
2. Mix olive oil, vinegar and mustard together in another smaller bowl, or shake in a well sealed jar, until well combined.
3. Pour olive oil mixture over salad, add salt and pepper to taste, then mix everything together one last time.
*For best results use the maple syrup and cinnamon walnuts recipe from last week.
**Plain walnuts can also be lightly browned in a frying pan. Allow to cool before adding to the salad.
*** If Gorgonzola is unavailable, other cheese alternatives can be used, including parmesan
Hope you enjoyed today’s post. I love reading and responding to everyone’s comments, so feel free to leave a comment of your own.
For updates on me, my articles and posts, please sign up for my new monthly newsletter. All details will remain private.
Feel free to comment and share!
MIke MikeMay 18, 2014 - 10:14 am ·
Sounds delicious Katarina! You mention maple syrup but don’t see where you would add that?
Katerina SimmsMay 18, 2014 - 6:12 pm ·
Hi Mike, this recipe doesn’t include maple syrup per say,but I posted a recipe last week with maple syrup walnuts and those same nuts can be reused in this recipe. Here’s the link –> http://katerinasimms.com/maple-syrup-and-cinnamon-walnuts/
Bastiaan BlikmanMay 18, 2014 - 8:21 pm ·
Hey Katerina, this recipe looks amazing! We are definitely gonna make and enjoy this! Thanks for sharing.
Katerina SimmsMay 18, 2014 - 9:26 pm ·
Thanks Bastiaan, your site is awesome too, I’m looking forward to more of your posts. Enjoy the salad 😀