Some of my regular followers might now I'm huge fan…
This week I’m sharing one of my favourite Sunday morning breakfasts, baked eggs with tomato and capsicum ragout. It’s healthy, very filling, and a total comfort food.
Give this delicious recipe a go for a different take on your usual morning eggs!
Cooking and prep time: Approx 30 minutes.
- cooking oil
- 1 red Capsicum, deseeded and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander seeds
- ½ mild curry powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin four bean mix, drained and rinsed
- Freshly ground salt & pepper to taste
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Greek yogurt to serve (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add capsicum, onion and garlic, and allow to sweat for five minutes, until softened.
2. Add cumin, coriander, mild curry and oregano. Stir for 1 minute until aromatic.
3. Pour in tomatoes and bean mix. Stir together and let mixture simmer for approx 10 minutes until liquid evaporates and sauce thickens. Season with salt & pepper.
4. Ladle out into even portions between four oven proof bowls (if you want an extra big breakfast, serve between 2 bowls and reduce number of eggs)
5. Dig a shallow well in the centre of each bowl and break two eggs into the sauce. Place in oven and cook for approx 10-15 until whites are set.
6. Garnish with parsley, and if having, Greek yogurt. Ragout is ready to eat
- If the eggs are too runny in centre once served, just mix with sauce while still hot. The remaining heat will finish the cooking process.
- If you’re a meat eater, feel free to dice chorizo and add to recipe before including eggs.
Hope you enjoyed today’s post. I love reading and responding to everyone’s comments, so feel free to leave a comment of your own.
For updates on me, my articles and posts, please sign up for my new monthly newsletter. All details will remain private.