Before you hit play on the video please read intro:…
A while ago I posted a picture on Facebook showcasing some of my homemade, and natural, bathroom recipes. Since a few people wanted to know how I made them, I thought I’d share my DIY beauty products with the whole world. Starting with my favorite item, Non Petroleum Jelly!
I use this stuff every day. Not only is it chemical-free (think about it, do you really want to rub petroleum on your face?), but it can be used for many things.
Things such as…
- A rich nighttime moisturiser.
- An excellent primer to wear under your make-up.
*It reduces the fine-lines under your eyes and stops your skin from looking dryer than it is. Also gives a great dewy appearance to your liquid foundation.
- A lip gloss.
- For treating dry/ flaky patches of skin.
- Basically anything else you’d usually use petroleum jelly for.
How to Make Non Petroleum jelly…
- 1/8 cup Beeswax.
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil.
*You can use other carrier oils like almond or olive oil if preferred, but Coconut heats better.
- 10 drops of Vitamin E oil.
- 5 drops of Green Tea Extract (optional).
Step 1: Combine Beeswax and Coconut oil in a heatproof jar or bowl.
Step 2: Heat some water in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
Step 3: Turn the heat down and place jar/ bowl containing ingredients into the water (you can also place the bowl over the water like a double boiler). Stir occasionally until the beeswax melts completely.
Step 4: With tongs or an oven mitt, carefully remove ingredients and pour into your preferred container. Pour out relatively quickly as the wax will start setting soon after removed from heat. Stir in Vitamin E and Green Tea Oil, before the mixture starts to set.
If the jar you used to melt the ingredients in is your preferred container then by all means leave the ingredients in there. Just remove from the stove and onto a heatproof surface.
Step 5: When completely cooled, place lid on container. Your non-petroleum jelly is ready to use!
- If possible get beeswax in small pellet form. If using in blocks you will need to grate the wax before using.
- Ingredients are safe to re-melt. So if you want a softer consistency simply melt again and add more oil.
- A little bit of this stuff goes a long way. It melts with your body heat, so just scoop up a little and work between your fingers before applying to your skin.
- Vitamin E and Green Tea Extract make for great, natural, anti-aging alternatives. Coconut oil also has anti-bacterial properties.
- Children will enjoy making this. They can watch the ingredients melt then harden up during the cooling process (especially if you make it in a clear jar). Just watch to ensure little fingers don’t get burnt.
- Feel free to add a few drops of your favorite essential oil if you want to add fragrance.
- All these ingredients can be bought from online stores, and can be used to make other bathroom products such as hair waxes and body lotions. I will be sure to post more recipes in the near future.
- In the long run, the cost of making these products is much cheaper than buying in the stores.
Let me know how this goes for you, I’m sure you’ll be surprised at how simple Non Petroleum Jelly is to make.
Hope you enjoyed today’s post. I love reading and responding to everyone’s comments, so feel free to leave a comment of your own.
For updates on me, my articles and posts, please sign up for my new monthly newsletter. All details will remain private.