Good coffee service has long been a treasured part of…
This week I’m sharing one of my favourite Sunday morning breakfasts, baked eggs with tomato and capsicum ragout. It’s healthy, very filling, and a total comfort food.
Give this delicious recipe a go for a different take on your usual morning eggs!
Cooking and prep time: Approx 30 minutes.
- cooking oil
- 1 red Capsicum, deseeded and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander seeds
- ½ mild curry powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin four bean mix, drained and rinsed
- Freshly ground salt & pepper to taste
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Greek yogurt to serve (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add capsicum, onion and garlic, and allow to sweat for five minutes, until softened.
2. Add cumin, coriander, mild curry and oregano. Stir for 1 minute until aromatic.
3. Pour in tomatoes and bean mix. Stir together and let mixture simmer for approx 10 minutes until liquid evaporates and sauce thickens. Season with salt & pepper.
4. Ladle out into even portions between four oven proof bowls (if you want an extra big breakfast, serve between 2 bowls and reduce number of eggs)
5. Dig a shallow well in the centre of each bowl and break two eggs into the sauce. Place in oven and cook for approx 10-15 until whites are set.
6. Garnish with parsley, and if having, Greek yogurt. Ragout is ready to eat
- If the eggs are too runny in centre once served, just mix with sauce while still hot. The remaining heat will finish the cooking process.
- If you’re a meat eater, feel free to dice chorizo and add to recipe before including eggs.
Hope you enjoyed today’s post. I love reading and responding to everyone’s comments, so feel free to leave a comment of your own.
For updates on me, my articles and posts, please sign up for my new monthly newsletter. All details will remain private.